I don't write about Amazon nearly as much as I feel like here, but that's OK -- Matt Blind, aka "Rocket Bomber," is always there to pick up the slack.
For example, he recently rounded up a lot of recent articles on Amazon and then explained how they're only doing what Sears did a hundred years earlier. (Doing it very well, yes, but very much the same thing.)
This time out, he doesn't concentrate much on Amazon's biggest advantage: their business model is to make very little money while trying to keep other players in the market from making any (which was greatly facilitated by their getting a five-year multi-billion dollar grace period from investors, which is, I think, unprecedented in any capitalist country).
But go read it, particularly if you work in any business where Amazon is a major retailer -- and, these days, that's pretty much all of them.
- Read in March
- Go Forth and Read Ye of the Ways of Amazon
- 22 år på landet
- Nyupptäckta demos med Gene Clark
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 3/23
- Incoming Books: March 22nd
- Earth Hour
- Längtan efter våren
- The Devil Is a Railroad Car
- Amazon Sales
- Incoming Books: March 18
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 3/16
- SFWA Solstice Awards for 2013
- 4 ganska nya i korthet
- I Am Not at Lunacon
- Incoming Books: Last Couple of Days
- What's Due Back at the Library Today?
- Heaving a Large Sigh
- Josh Ritter, Live and Free
- Blog Post Level Five Thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!
- You Have Another Chance to Buy Matthew Hughes Book...
- Tiptree Award Winners!
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 3/9
- Quote of the Week
- Skåpmålarmusik del 12: Examen
- Technology! Facilitating Great Laziness!
- The Cut Direct
- Graphic Novels I Read Three Months Ago and Want to...
- Visst har det hänt...
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 3/2
- Stoker Nominees!
- Skåpmålarmusik del 11: Chris Dair
- The Moon Moth by Jack Vance and Humayoun Ibrahim
- ▼ March (35)
- ► 2012 (395)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (103)
Thing the First: Holidays I hope you all had a happy Bloomsday, and are looking forward to a particularly festive Juneteenth. For myself, th...
Or, A brief jeremiad aimed at people who agree with Hobby Lobby and the various other companies jumping on their bandwagon. For those who ha...
Tillknycklad av kärlek, fas 2 I förra inlägget skrev jag om chocken när kärlek plötsligt tagit slut. Sen kommer de bittra anklagelserna och ...
If you read The New Yorker , you're familiar with Frazier -- he's been writing short comic pieces (collected in books like Coyote V....
I'm going to rent myself a house In the shade of the freeway I'm going to pack my lunch in the morning And go to work each day And w...
En hel vecka har gått utan att jag hunnit med ett ord... Det är mycket nu... Desto viktigare att den musik man lyssnar på, om man nu alls hi...
I need to update information on a website I control with information about a company in India -- and I was just on their contact page a few ...
Just nu hinner jag knappt med livets vardagliga nödvändigheter, men snart kommer oktober och då lättar det. Och det kommer en massa spännand...
I read all of these books in mid-February, expecting to dive back into regularly reviewing my review copies -- if any publicists are lurking...
Top Shelf, one of the finest publishers of interesting comics on this or any other continent, is having one of their periodic amazing sales ...