Incoming Books: December 1

I needed to build up my stocks of comics and manga for my sons -- they're reading a lot of novels, so the novel-for-a-manga scheme is chugging along, and I also want to have a stash of comics for Christmas stockings -- so I placed a couple of mailorders for various comical funnies about a week ago, and they both arrived on Saturday.

(Anyone stalking me will have noted that I tweeted about the difficulty of getting into comics-shop packaging on that day.)

And, since I'm somewhat trying to rebuild my flooded graphic-novel collection (I have no hopes of rebuying any of the floppies; that's just a total loss), I got a few things for myself along the way:

Matt Wagner's Grendel Omnibus Volume 1: Hunter Rose -- I'm not crazy about the idea of this -- Devil by the Deed is a fine nasty little story, but all of the modern stylish crime junk Wagner has been weaving around it for the last decade-plus has obscured what made it special. So collecting it with all of those later Hunter Rose stories looks like a big mistake to me. But my copies of all of this stuff was turned to wet pulp, so you know what they say about beggars and choosers.

Elektra: Assassin by Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz -- One of the great completely insane comics of our times, fizzing with livewire energy and pulsing with Miller's obsessions, then still (just barely) kept in check. I couldn't be without a copy of it for long.

Lobster Johnson Volume 2: The Burning Hand by Mike Mignola and various others -- I've gotten a year or two behind on my reading in the Hellboy-verse, for reasons that aren't entirely clear to me. I might have to read a whole bunch of it at once, sometime soon.

And Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland -- for a moment, I was excited, because the spine just says "Bill Willingham," and I thought maybe it was so late because he actually drew something, for the first time in a long time, but it's just corporate-comics being corporate; there are a whole slew of artists credited. I'm also solidly behind on Fables, and I probably should stop buying them until I read some.