Several Books of Genre Interest Reviewed Haphazardly, But Mostly Positively, Several Months Late: A Preview

It's no secret that my book-reviewing here has been in an extended slump for the last six months or so. (Though the amusing thing to me is, as I poke through my archives, is that the one consistent theme of this blog is that I'm always behind in writing about the books I've read and that I'm never happy with what I write about books I like. So this is an extreme case, but it's also the standard.)

Since I'm on vacation this week, I'm going to try to clean up the backlog, which will solve one problem. The other one -- motivation -- is trickier; as my job has gotten more difficult and complicated and taken more of my attention and mental energy, I don't want to spend a lot of time thinking deeply about things I've read. (And then I read less, and drift farther away from the SFF world, and feel worse about that, and start moaning that I'll die still selling crap to accountants.)

There's no reason any of you should care about any of that.

For that matter, there's no reason why I should bother to keep typing things like that; I know what the problems are, and my complaints don't help. But whining is one of the great human pastimes, and I'm not immune to its charms.

Anyway: I've written a couple of reviews already (they originally were all going to go into this post, until I thought better of it), and I hope to do more. Right now, I'm planning to space them out once a day. We'll see what actually happens, as it happens.