"Don't you know there ain't no Devil; that's just God when he's drunk."
- "Heartattack & Vine"
"There's a lot of things in this world that you're gonna have no use for. And when you get blue, and you've lost all your dreams, there's nothin' like a campfire and a can of beans!"
- "Lucky Day"
"The women all control the men with razors and with wrists."
- "In the Colosseum"
"If you want money in your pocket and a top hat on your head, a hot meal on your table and a blanket on your bed, well, today is grey skies, tomorrow is tears. You'll have to wait 'til yesterday is here."
- "Yesterday Is Here"
"All the good in the world you can put inside a thimble and still have room for you and me."
- "Misery Is the River of the World"
"So what's become of the little boys who run away from home? The world just keeps gettin' bigger, once you get out on your own."
- "On the Nickel"
"Uncle Biltmore and Uncle William made a million during World War Two. But they're tightwads, and they're cheapskates, and they'll never give a dime to you."
- "Cemetary Polka"
"And all the rooms they smell like diesel and you take on the dreams of the ones who have slept here. ... And the girl behind the counter has a tattooed tear -- "One for every year he's away," she said. Such a crumbling beauty, ah there's nothing wrong with her that a hundred dollars won't fix."
- "9th & Hennepin"
"They're alive, they're awake while the rest of the world is asleep. Below the mine shaft roads it will all unfold. There's a world going on underground."
And, most importantly:
"Nothin' else matters in this whole wide world when you're in love with a Jersey girl."
- Elliott och Olivier rockar på Big Ben
- Basse på Big Ben igen
- What Becomes of All the Little Monsters Who Run Aw...
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 4/27
- Nya dimensioner med The Deep Dark Woods
- Because I Haven't Done a Silly Quiz Meme in a Long...
- James Patterson Is Unhappy
- What Is the Deal With LeaderShift?
- A Useful Op-Ed Strategy
- Today's Political Thought
- Richie Havens död
- An Excellent Example of the Misleading Statistic
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 4/20
- Sandy Denny - 35 år av saknad
- Things Tom Waits Has Taught Me
- All Too True
- Fairport Convention lever vidare
- Free Music I Like and Think You Will Too
- Ännu ett bottennapp
- A Sad Realization
- W T F
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 4/13
- Nu är de här...!
- Thatchers död 24 år senare
- Things I Haven't Commented on Yet
- Magical Thinking and the Modern World
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 4/6
- Paper Aeroplanes - ännu en gång
- Farewell Roger Ebert
- What Happened to Sitemeter?
- Stuff My Employer Has Sold, And What Happened To I...
- Outside of My Expertise
- Not Quite Schadenfreude, But Close
- Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley
- News of the Day
- What Flashed Through My Brain Just Now
- Reviewing the Mail: Week of 3/30
- ▼ April (37)
- ► 2012 (395)
- ► 2011 (104)
- ► 2010 (103)
Thing the First: Holidays I hope you all had a happy Bloomsday, and are looking forward to a particularly festive Juneteenth. For myself, th...
Or, A brief jeremiad aimed at people who agree with Hobby Lobby and the various other companies jumping on their bandwagon. For those who ha...
Tillknycklad av kärlek, fas 2 I förra inlägget skrev jag om chocken när kärlek plötsligt tagit slut. Sen kommer de bittra anklagelserna och ...
If you read The New Yorker , you're familiar with Frazier -- he's been writing short comic pieces (collected in books like Coyote V....
I'm going to rent myself a house In the shade of the freeway I'm going to pack my lunch in the morning And go to work each day And w...
En hel vecka har gått utan att jag hunnit med ett ord... Det är mycket nu... Desto viktigare att den musik man lyssnar på, om man nu alls hi...
I need to update information on a website I control with information about a company in India -- and I was just on their contact page a few ...
Just nu hinner jag knappt med livets vardagliga nödvändigheter, men snart kommer oktober och då lättar det. Och det kommer en massa spännand...
I read all of these books in mid-February, expecting to dive back into regularly reviewing my review copies -- if any publicists are lurking...
Top Shelf, one of the finest publishers of interesting comics on this or any other continent, is having one of their periodic amazing sales ...